As of June 16, 2017, we have a few opportunities for writers, translators, and artists.
1. The 2017 Fairy Tale Review Awards ($10): April 1, 2017 to July 15, 2017
2. Translations (year-round)
3. Artwork (year-round)
Please look below for details about our universal submission guidelines and information about our open categories.
All submissions are to be made through Submittable. Email or postal submissions will be unread.
We ask that all writers who would like to submit to Fairy Tale Review adhere to these guidelines.
- All work must be previously unpublished.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome; please note as such in your cover letter, and withdraw the submission immediately if accepted elsewhere. Withdrawals should be done through Submittable. If you submitted a packet of poems and must withdraw only one but would like the rest to remain under consideration, send us an email at email@example.com.
- Only one submission per genre during any reading period (except contests). For example: You may submit one piece of prose and one packet of poems, but not two pieces of prose, within a single reading period. Additional submissions will be returned unread.
- If you were published in the most recent print issue, please wait one year after publication of the issue to submit again; you are still welcome to submit to our contest or to the digital platform.
We hope to respond to submissions within 3 months, except for contest submissions, which take longer due to contest judging.
The 2017 Fairy Tale Review Awards
As with the rest of The Charcoal Issue, we’re looking for work that broadly approaches themes of resistance and protest. The subject and nature of the resistance/protest is entirely up to you, and we’re giving a good deal of flexibility in how writers approach that topic.
Helen Oyeyemi will serve as the prose judge, and Aimee Nezhukumatathil will serve as the poetry judge.
Please read our contest guidelines before submitting.
Tiny Donkey is an off-shoot of Fairy Tale Review, focused solely on flash non-fiction; please see their site for more information about submitting.